Our bodies were made to move. Movement assures our body systems work well and smoothly. The health benefits of exercise range from lowering our risk of certain diseases to improving memory and strengthening our immune system. Here are the top reasons to be active.
1. Increase energy levels. Regular physical activity improves the ability of your heart and lungs to deliver oxygen and nutrients to your muscles and other tissues. This boosts your endurance, which ultimately leads to more energy to do your daily tasks.
weight. Exercise burns calories. The more calories you burn during the day,
the fewer calories your body might otherwise store as fat.
3. Lower your risk of disease and other health conditions. Being active lowers your triglycerides and cholesterol levels. This keeps your blood flowing smoothly and lowers your risk of heart disease and stroke. Exercise also lowers your risk of type 2 diabetes, depression, obesity, and some cancers.
4. Improve mood. Physical activity stimulates a variety of chemicals in the brain that make you feel less stressed and more relaxed. As your body gets stronger and your confidence is boosted, your self esteem improves.
5. Stronger bones. Looking for a way to lower your risk of osteoporosis? Weight bearing exercise slows the natural loss of bone density and can even stimulate existing bone, encouraging it to grow new bone. Being active also improves strength, endurance and balance—all important factors in preventing falls.
6. Boost immune system. The cells assigned to attack bacteria are boosted when you exercise. Exercise also reduces stress and stress can prevent the immune system from working well.
7. Sleep better. Physical activity on a regular basis can help you fall asleep faster and deepen your sleep. Just remember not to exercise too close to bedtime or you might end up with the opposite effect.
8. Improve back pain. Muscle strengthening and flexibility training can help manage lower back pain. Having good posture and a strong abdomen are your first line of defense.